Friday, December 16, 2011

Secret Santas... in college

Today we traded gifts during choir. I made homemade magnets for Adrian who I drew and threw in some caramels and chocolates as well :)  Brie had me and gave me a bag of gluten free yumminess. As we were going around in a circle and handing out gifts, I was reminded of fourth grade (or somewhere around there) when we we did Kris Kringles and I drew Katie. I got some money from mom and dad to go get a $5 gift from Walgreens.  I remember buying a light-up yo-yo and being really excited about it. I remember getting ready to wrap it and then deciding that I wanted to play with it first. I took it out of the cheap plastic and cardboard box and when I tried to play with it, it broke. It even chipped off a piece. I didn't know what to do, and being a stupid youngling I decided to play it off like nothing had happened. I taped it back into the box and wrapped it in Christmas paper to bring to school the next day. When Katie unwrapped it at school, it fell apart on the floor. I tried to lie and say that it was faulty packaging etc., but everyone read right through that... I was embarrassed and so was Katie. After a few phone calls between parents, my parents helped me pick out a $10 gift to make up for the broken yo-yo. I picked out a musical jewelry box. I remember that she liked it, but that's about it.
A few years later in eighth grade, karma came back and bit me. We did kris kringles again and I gave my person a really nice gift, but Jimmy forgot about getting me something, so he went to his locker and pulled out an old used deck of cards (not even a full deck) and put it on my desk.  Yep, I deserved that.

No comments:

Post a Comment